Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thank You Linda Bean


At Pike Place Market in Seattle, I found a tile that said, "Thank You Linda Bean"

This is what started the search that I've been undertaking for the past hour. The question, "Who is Linda Bean?" and "Why does she have such an entertaining name?"

My first google search brought me to Maine, with the headline "Linda Bean expands her lobster holdings" as the first hit. Intriguing. I dove in.
I cared little for the talk of a Linda Bean and her lobsters. Lobster economics matter little to me for four reasons: I don't eat meat, I think lobster tastes shitty, I don't fish for lobster, and lobsters scream while being cooked.
What are the chances that the Linda Bean of Pike Place's floor tiles would be the same Linda Bean that loves eating strange, bug-like creatures from the ocean floor. I continued my search.

The next hit is Linda Bean's Perfect Maine, a site where Linda talks about lobsters, (Homarus americanus) and lobstering. This is also irrelevant to the Great Pacific Northwest. NEXT!

The next hit is Artist Linda Bean's Web Page. She is described as "Linda Bean, a Northwest Artist. Oil/Acrylic, Colorist." in the abstract on google. Upon investigating the site, one discovers a pile of gushy crap and meaningless impressionism. Not my cup of tea although it does look very nice. I'm guessing that she is the person referenced by the tile and I doubt that this is the same person as the lobster lubber from before, but I want to be sure.

The next hit is a video of the first Linda on QVC "promoting her new Lobster Stew," yawn. NEXT.

The final hit that I am interested in is the New York Times' article on Linda Lorraine Bean (turns out to be the first Linda Bean) and her conservative philosophy. This is the L.L. in L.L. Bean.
Ms. Bean is an outspoken conservative. She is opposed to abortion rights, gay rights legislation and gun control, and she believes in Ronald Reagan's program that tax cuts will spur economic growth and lower the deficit.
Would she really be recognized by the Pike Place Market?

Hell, I don't know. The trail of bread crumbs ends there. HAH!

No comments: