Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Eternal

Last week I went down to Caffe Vita in Downtown Olympia and picked up a copy of my favorite newspaper: the Stranger. It is a terrible newspaper full of ads and made up of mostly opinions. The redeeming factors are the writers' ability to write something funny or otherwise amusing and the funny/creepy personal ads in the back. In the front, I saw an ad for the new Sonic Youth album, a band that I didn't know was still making music. I got really excited and went off to get a copy.

Sonic Youth's "The Eternal" sounds like the other Sonic Youth albums,(not that that is a bad thing, I still like it) they know how to package noise pop and make it fun to listen to. The album kicks off with some classic 'the kids don't care' vocals and some crazy distortion and guitar noise with moments of lucidity. About half way through the album, the music gets much more tame and effect heavy with right on vocals just in time for 'Malibu Gas Station' the song I would choose as the single. The rest of the album is much less crazy. The album even ends on a downright mellow point, while still maintaining the noise drones one expects. If you like noise pop, The Eternal is a good album to get.

No comments: