Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Bloody Valentine....... 3D?

I've been seeing lots of ads for a movie called "My Bloody Valentine 3D." Talking to many of my shoegazing friends, they were all very upset by this. For those of you who are unaware, there was a band called "My Bloody Valentine" that became extremely famous. They led the shoegazing movement and so has become widely known. After the shoegazer in me became offended, I decided to do some research. These are my findings.

First, we'll talk about the new movie.

MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D LOOKS TERRIBLE

The plot according to Wikipedia:
"Ten years ago, a tragedy changed the town of Harmony forever. Tom Hanniger (Jensen Ackles), an inexperienced coal miner, caused an accident in the tunnels that trapped and killed five men and sent the only survivor, Harry Warden (Richard John Walters), into a coma. But Harry Warden wanted revenge. Exactly one year later, on Valentine's Day, he woke up and brutally murdered twenty-two people with a pickax before being killed.
Ten years later, Tom Hanniger returns to Harmony on Valentine's Day, still haunted by the deaths he caused. Struggling to make amends with his past, he grapples with unresolved feelings for his ex-girlfriend, Sarah (Jaime King), who is now married to his best friend, Axel (Kerr Smith), the town sheriff. But tonight, after years of peace, something from Harmony's dark past has returned. Wearing a miner's mask and armed with a pickax, an unstoppable killer is on the loose. And as his footsteps come ever closer, Tom, Sarah and Axel realize in terror that it just might be Harry Warden who's come back to claim them..."

Typical slasher flick. Lots of blood and tense moments, maybe some metal during the opening and ending sequences. Since its in 3D is it therefore more terrifying? Other than the draw of a possible 3D soft-core scene, (maybe the first ever in the history of film?) I don't think I could pay money to see it.

Now, the movie shares its name with "My Bloody Valentine(Band)." They were the biggest thing to ever happen to shoegaze. Their music (directly or indirectly) influenced many bands that I feel are pretty important right now: Film School, Darker My Love, The Dandy Warhols, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and most notably The Brian Jonestown Massacre. In fact, the BJM's latest album was titled "My Bloody Underground" an homage to MBV and The Velvet Underground. That should help you understand the shock seeing this movie trailer caused in Shoegazers.

Here is some MBV if you haven't heard them before.


After digging a bit deeper, I found out that My Bloody Valentine 3D is actually a remake of a Canadian slasher flick from the '80s. The movie came out in 1981 while the band started in 1984. The name connection is not a coincidence either. According to this fansite they named themselves after the movie.

What a strange thing to name your band after.
BTW Emo kids, listen to this instead of your Dashboard Confessional. I'll hate you less.

No comments: