Thursday, December 11, 2008

Synecdoche, New York

I was watching the Colbert Report tonight and the guest was Charlie Kaufman. He is the writer and director of a movie, Synecdoche, New York.

I am excited to see this movie. It stars Philip Seymour Hoffman. From what I gathered from the trailer, he plays a director who thinks he's going to die and so begins a big work that everyone should remember him for. He creates a replica of New York City inside a warehouse and hires actors to inhabit it. His life starts falling apart outside the warehouse and the actor that plays him in the warehouse is too good. That's all I know. It's already out, but I'd never heard of it before. It won a Robert Altman award at the Independent Spirit Awards. It was also nominated for a golden palm at Cannes, but did not win.

Seeing as a I know nothing about indie movie awards, I have no idea what that means, but I HAD heard of the Cannes Film Festival before. Maybe I should learn a bit about them, I think I'll be changing directions (from animation to film) yet again for my final year of college.

Its also interesting that I'd never heard of this film before tonight and it has been out for little more than a month. Not long enough to have faded completely from the public eye and not short enough for word not to have gotten out yet. This makes me wonder about advertising for art/indie work. Advertising makes or breaks a lot of movies and indie films are no exception. Is it from lack of trying or something else. Is there an open niche there?

No comments: